Saturday 7 July 2012

Sapi Island, Sabah, Malaysia

This entry is another from the 'greater Hong Kong' series. It was the first lunch my wife and I took from our holiday to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. We went on a day trip that included a trek around a local island called Gaya Island and snorkelling around Sapi island that was nearby. Included in the trip was a barbecue lunch and this is how we got on.

Although advertised as a barbecue, what we got was a buffet style arrangement were you helped yourself to the food. Presumably most of the food items on offer were grilled.

We queued and took our food from the metal containers and onto our plastic plates. On the photograph below you will see fish, crab, prawns, sweetcorn, satay, fish balls, chicken wings and sausages, which were probably the barbecued items. Along with these I also helped myself to some rice and noodles.

My first lunch of the holiday
The fish (not sure the of the name, but it is translated to 'big eyed chicken' from Chinese) and crab were nice and meaty but could have done with more seasoning. Fish balls were good too, as was the chicken satay sticks, although no peanut sauce to accompany it. The chicken wings were well cooked, moist and sweet. The rest of my meal was adequate sustenance to refuel myself after some hiking and snorkelling. As it was a buffet I went up to the food counters another time.

There was also watermelon as a fruit dessert, which was sweet enough.

As noted we ate off plastic plates, with basic cutlery and tableware laid out on the beach. Tables were only cleared once everyone had finished, but all this was expected from beachside lunching. Service was minimal but one cannot complain too much.

All in all an enjoyable lunch seeing as it was by the sea, sun was shining and the first proper day of my holiday.

Scores:
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 2/5
Service: 2/5
Setting: 3/5
Total: 10/20

Total Bill: included in the cost of the day excursion, which apportioning this lunch with the trek and snorkelling would maybe be 20GBP a head.

I ate: All of the above

I drank: A Cola flavoured carbonated drink, still water.

I wore: Swimming shorts, snorkelling gear

1 comment: