Sunday 29 July 2012

Lobby Lounge, Conrad Hotel, Hong Kong

I am back in Hong Kong for this blog and it is more of a Cakequest as we had afternoon tea at the Lobby Lounge of the Conrad Hotel one Sunday afternoon.

Their afternoon tea is a buffet with a wide selection of savoury and sweet dishes to choose from. We arrived just after 3pm and had about two hours to eat as much as we could.

I decided to go savoury for my first dish and picked the following shown in the photograph:Vegetable Samosa; Pita Bread with Hummus; Smoked Salmon Ciabatta; Bacon Quiche and Roast Potato with Cheese. These were all delightful little finger food treats that stared the afternoon off very well.
Clockwise from 12 o'clock: Roast Potato & Cheese; Bacon Quiche; Samosa; Smoked Salmon; Hummus & Pitta Bread
My second dish had these savoury items: Har Gow; Chicken Wing; Prawn; Teriyaki Chicken Skewer and Cream of Seafood with filo pastry. This was a least favourite plate as I found the fried prawns and chicken skewer a bit bland. The rest of the plate whilst nothing bad, did not really go with my cup of Darjeeling.
Prawn Dumpling; Chicken Wing; Prawn; Teriyaki Skewer; Cream  of Seafood & Filo Pastry


Savoury items were also on my third plate, which had: Cucumber sandwich with cream cheese; Salad with pepper, cucumber & carrot with dressing. I chose the sandwich as it is a classic afternoon tea item and the salad for its lightness and to get my five portions of fruit / veg a day.
From top: Cucumber Sandwich; Salad
I finally picked some sweet items the fourth time I went to for food. This time another classic part of afternoon tea filled my plate: the scone. I took two scones, one plain and another raisin. I accompanied the scones with cream and strawberry jam. The scones were nice and not too dry, with the raisins adding some sweetness to them.
Scones: Plain on left; Raisin on right

Although the sign said clotted cream it was actually whipped cream, much to my wife's disdain. She is a bit of a connisuer when it comes to scones and cream and expressed her disappointment to the management. In a good show of customer service it was replaced with clotted cream by them, which kept my wife happy.

So with this staff friendliness I quite liked the place. The lounge area is bright and had comfortable seats, with nice tableware.

We had enough to eat, all of which was good and there were items we did not have room in our stomachs to try such as cakes and sushi so something to choose from the next time I visit.

Scores:
Food: 4/5
Presentation: 3/5
Service: 4/5
Setting: 4/5

Overall: 15/20

Total bill: $500, about £20 a head.

I ate: All of the above.

I drank: Darjeeling Tea.

I wore: Smart Jeans and Polo Shirt.










No comments:

Post a Comment