Saturday 7 April 2012

Royal Palace, Wanchai, Hong Kong

I had a day off last Thursday so met up with my wife for lunch at the Royal Palace restaurant, which is located on the 8th floor of her office building, in the Wanchai area of Hong Kong Island.


It was quiet as I entered but soon people began flocking in. Its popularity may be due to the 40% discount it gives on their dim sum lunchtime menu.


This is what we ordered from their selection.


The first dish to arrive was wilted lettuce, which was cooked well enough so that it was not too soggy and with a soy sauce dip for a bit more flavour.


The Savoury Dumpling was sweet on the outside with pork filling on the inside and served not too hot. Nice but not as tasty as the one I had at YMF (refer to my previous blog on that restaurant)
Lettuce (background) and Savoury Dumpling



Their Spring Rolls were served cut into half portions and were crispy on the outside with decent meat-based filling. Similar to the savoury dumpling, these were not too hot, perhaps implying that the deep-fried dishes are not so freshly cooked.


Spring Roll
Steamed tripe with black bean sauce. I am quite partial to this delicacy; I like the chewy texture with the mild spiciness of the black beans. This one could have had a bit more flavour.


Tripe
'Soup in a Dumpling' is the literal translation of the dish shown below. The stock flavour was OK, the dumpling was like a large wonton and filled with porkmeat, crab stick and possibly shark's fin and was fine.
Dumpling Soup


Siu mai, a staple we usually get when eating dim sum. The steamer dish had the usual four numbers of these dumplings, which had a pork filling with crab roe on top and tasted very standard. These were a bit hotter than other dishes so probably more freshly cooked.


Red bean and coconut cake was the only sweet dish and was given to us free. However I myself did not have this as I had sufficient; my wife took them away for afternoon tea.



Siu Mai and Red Bean & Coconut Cake
Royal Palace does not quite live up to its regal name but its big dining hall setting is fine enough, with crockery and eating utensils clean and presentable. The service is efficient and friendly for HK dim sum restaurant standards. The food is fine and with the discount it is decent value for money; but on normal pricing days probably not so.




Scores:
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5
Overall: 12/20


Total bill: Approximately $130, so just over £5 a head.


I ate: all of the above.



I drank: Iron Buddha tea.



I wore: Not work clothes!



No comments:

Post a Comment