Friday 20 April 2012

Caprice, Four Seasons Hotel, Hong Kong

Following the entry on Amigo, we continue with the fine dining theme with a visit to Caprice a couple of days later for a Sunday lunch. My wife's aunt was in town and as she was not present at our wedding went here in lieu of our banquet.

This is the second entry for Caprice and as blogged before, this is one of the city's best restaurants so as soon as you enter the place you are in for a treat.

Along with my wife's aunt, there was my wife, mother-in-law and wife's elder aunt making up the dining party and we all chose Caprice's three course set lunch.

For my starter I chose carrot veloute with ravioli. This was a brilliant soup to start the lunch. Presentation wise it was colourful with the little bubbles and the ravioli placed in the middle.  It was really tasty too with good carrot flavour and there was cumin for a bit of spice. The ravioli was made with translucent pastry like a Chinese type dumpling and filled with chopped vegetables.

Carrot Veloute Soup
I chose Pork belly as my main course. This was a decent sized portion with a good balance of meat and fat. It was served on a bed of nicely wilted spinach and baby carrots with a pepper sauce as a good accompaniment. Also plated up was mashed sweetcorn (see the right of the plate), which was creamy and tasted like nachos.

Pork Belly
Petit fours came just before dessert, comprising of three different sweets for us. I cannot remember them all but one was marshmallow.

Petit Four
Whilst the petit four are nice, the dessert served afterwards just blows them out of the water. In Caprice's lunch set, patrons choose three desserts from their selection of six. I opted for a mango macaron, chocolate cake and a Panna cotta, All three were great: the macaron was light and had fresh mango flavour; the chocolate cake was rich and the the Panna cotta was cool and creamy with fresh berries on top.
Dessert. My selection on the left, my wife's to the right
Below are photographs of a selection of the other food ordered by the dining party.
Japanese Scallop Tartare, Granny Smith Apple, Cucumber and Lime
Chicken Pot au Feu with Tarragon Tagliarini
Star Garoupa with Ratatouille and Black Olive Confit

All of the food was accompanied with a glass of French Chardonnay (one glass of wine is included in the price) and sparkling water as drinks. I also had some tea with my dessert.

Everything about Caprice is fabulous, from the food; the crystal chandeliers; the waiters who always see you back to your seat when you return to the table to even the lemon scented soap in the bathroom. First class from this Michelin starred restaurant!

Scores:
Food: 5/5
Presentation: 5/5
Service: 5/5
Setting: 5/5

Overall: 20/20

I ate: Carrot Veloute, Cumin & Orange Scent, Florentine Ravioli; Crispy Capelin Pork Belly, Sweetcorn and Young Carrot in Pepper Sauce; Three Sweet Delights.

I drank: Chardonnay, San Pellegrino Sparkling Water, Earl Grey Tea.

I wore: Jeans, which are not actually allowed for Caprice (but they were smart and not torn or ripped in any way).

Total bill: c$3000, so about 50GBP a head.



1 comment: