Saturday 14 April 2012

Amigo, Happy Valley, Hong Kong

This is a late lunchquest, as I was dining with my wife on a Friday evening, for a special occasion. We went to Amigo, a restaurant serving more French food than its Spanish name suggests. It has been established for some time in Hong Kong and is located not far from where we stay, opposite the Happy Valley racecourse.

As we entered the building we were greeted by a waiter in his tuxedo who led us upstairs to the main dining hall. We then noticed that all the waiters all in tuxedos or tailcoat. We were one of the first diners to arrive but this place soon got very busy as it was the start of the weekend.

The style of the place is European, with no real definitive area. It can cater for a large number of diners but still has an intimate feel to it. When you reserve a table here they will provide you a little memo pads with your name on the cover, which is a nice little treat for each guest.

We both went for their set menu dinners, with my wife choosing three courses and me going all out for four.

My first dish was Foie Gras as an appetiser. There was a decent portion of the liver, which was was well fried but still moist and delicate and the bed of turnips it was laid above were crisp and fresh.

Foie Gras and Turnip

For my second course I chose chicken consommé with abalone. Soup was served at the right temperature for my taste buds and very thin but had enough flavour in it and sufficient slices of abalone for added opulence.

Chicken consomme.

At the same time when my soup arrived, my wife's choice of Clam Chowder came along too. The chowder was the opposite from my consomme as it was thick and packed with potatoes and clams. You can almost make out from the photograph below the rose shaped butter, which accompanied the warm crusty bread that came with the soups.


Wife's Clam Chowder, with bread roll and Rose shaped butter
Following from the soups, we were given a grapefruit sorbet to clean the palate, which had a very subtle bitter taste without being too sour.

I chose Sea bass as my main. The fish was fried and still moist and flaky, with good flavour. The sauce was creamy and tangy from the citrus they added. My wife had King prawn with Lobster sauce, which I tasted and thought was nice but maybe had too much going on with the seafood ingredients. Her dish came with a side order of potato and spinach, which was filled us up.
Main Courses: Foreground is Sea Bass, background is King Prawn (with Spinach & Potato side)
To finish off our meals, I had Creme Brûlée as my dessert and my wife chose Soufflé. My dessert was actually coffee flavoured, which was a very nice twist and not too overpowering nor bitter. the souffle was well presented and light tasting.

Dessert: Foreground in Creme Brule, background is Souffle.
The presentation of the food is done very well but I have to say that some of the crockery was slightly old and worn, not a good impression for a fine dining restaurant.

Service is excellent, with the waiters friendly and attentive and even some food is served by them with some final heating. There is also a a small band who roam around the restaurant singing songs at your request. They are a bit cheesy but talented enough and knew a decent range; someone asked them to sing Lady Gaga and they did just that, reeling off their version of Bad Romance. Another gift to my wife was a red rose when we were presented with the bill.

As noted above the decor of the restaurant is grand without being overly posh. It was romantic enough for a gentleman to propose to his girlfriend, now fiancee.

Amigo is the closest fine dining restaurant serving western food to where we live, so it is a convenient place to go for some posh and expensive food. It maybe a bit dated in terms of the fixtures and fittings but that does not detract it from producing some very good food with great service.

Scores:
Food: 4/5
Presentation: 4/5
Service: 5/5
Setting: 4/5

Overall: 17/20

I ate: Foie Gras, Chicken Consomme, Sea Bass, Coffee flavoured Creme Brulee.

I drank: Carmen Cabernet Sauvignon, Still Mineral Water (which was free), Tea.

I wore: A pink (my wife's favourite colour) shirt.

Total bill: $2013, so about 85GBP a head.





No comments:

Post a Comment