Wednesday 30 January 2013

Nicholas Seafood Traders, Sydney Fish Market, NSW, Australia

We, that is my wife and I, have ventured south to Sydney on our trip to Australia, where we are at Sydney Fish Market for lunch (continuing the seafood theme from my previous entry).

This place is on the tourist trail and does actually have fish for sale to the trade, as well as a separate food court type area of restaurants that we were concentrating on today.

Whilst my wife was wanting more crustaceans and molluscs, I decided to have some fish and chips.

There was a restaurant called Nicholas Seafood Traders that had it on their bilingual menu (English and Simplified Chinese as shown in the photograph below) and so I ordered from them, choosing a Battered Flathead fish and chips. Cash was exchanged and I was told to wait about ten minutes for my order.

The reason for the second language is that most of their customers were probably from Mainland China from the amount of Mandarin I heard being spoken. In terms of menu choice there are a lot of seafood items cooked hot in a Chinese style, along with the Western style chilled seafood. Also, all the staff there were Oriental in appearance, which gives you some insight into the influence of China over this region in terms of tourism and commerce.
The Menu
Anyway, I digress. Ten minutes came and went and my food arrived served on a plastic plate. The only condiments that were free were salt, pepper and vinegar so I had to make do with the latter to put on my chips.

Presentation wise the fish did not look that big and the batter looked quite thin. I then made my way to the tables placed outside restaurants where people can take their food to eat. This al fresco dining would seem pleasant enough in the sunshine but you are joined with a lot of seagulls and another long beaked birds that I do not know the name of pestering you for food. This resulted in our table having some seagull droppings on it, therefore not so pleasant.
My Order
Taste wise the fish could have done with more batter and I am more used to having cod or other fish that has more meat to it, which this Flathead fish lacked a little. The chips were not too great either and looked pre-cut.

So overall my meal was a little disappointing given the place we were at and compared to the fish suppers that I have had in my life. It is more of a tick in the box to say I have visited this place being the tourist I am but I could not return here for deep-fried fish meal. My wife went for chilled items such as oysters, prawns and lobster, which looked better and tasted better from the sample she gave me.

Scores
Food: 2/5
Presentation 2/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5

Total: 10/20

Total bill: AUD$14.00 about GBP£10.

I ate: Fish and Chips.

I drank: A coke, bought separately.

I wore: Sunglasses.



1 comment: