Saturday 16 November 2013

TWG Tea, Central, Hong Kong

This Sunday lunch was at TWG Tea, a Singaporean chain of tea boutiques, which has its Hong Kong branch located in the IFC mall in Central.

The interior has a very British colonial feel about it. It is walk-in only during the day but there was sufficient space and we were sat at a very presentable table with comfortable chairs. They have a massive range of teas and give us an informative book on teas along with the menu after we were seated.
Table Setting
My wife and I both opted for the multi course brunch, of which there are a variety and I went for one called 'Dignitary'.

The first item to arrive was the orange juice, which was freshly squeezed, so a healthy and refreshing way to start the meal.
Fresh Juice
My brunch set had Eggs Benedict as the main dish. There is a choice of ham or smoked salmon, which I chose the latter. However when the dish arrived it was actually ham; I did not make a complaint and carried on eating. It was well presented, with a salad accompaniment as shown below. Taste wise I had no complaints; eggs were cooked right, the sauce had a nice sourness to it and the erroneous ham was a generous slice. 

Eggs Benedict
The next course was the muffin and scone course. The lemon muffin was light enough with strong flavour of lemon and a lemon sauce inside. The scone was a bit small but OK with little raisins in them, which was served with whipped cream and peach jelly, all shown below. 

My tea was served at this point, where I opted for an Irish morning Tea, as there was no Scottish kind so I stuck with the Celtic connection, which was very strong.
Scone & Muffin
A Cake or Pastry was the last course and I went for the strawberry tart. This had a firm biscuit base, light but sweet custard filling and lots of strawberries to top off as can be seen below.
Strawberry Tart
Whilst the staff were friendly enough, there were other little things to mark the service down like spilling the tea when pouring and some black pepper falling into my tea.

However, the food and drink here was pretty good which filled me up nicely and it is a very pretty looking place to eat. When we left there was a healthy queue for the afternoon tea session so it is a popular boutique tea salon and one where we will likely to be returning to. 

Scores:
Food: 4/5
Presentation: 4/5
Service: 2/5
Setting: 4/5

Overall: 14/20

Total Bill: $701, about £29 a head.

I ate: Dignitary Brunch Set.

I drank: Irish Morning Tea, Freshly squeezed orange juice, both of which were included in the brunch.

I wore: H&M Polo Shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment