Sunday 3 November 2013

Ichiran, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

This early lunch quest saw me eat noodles at Ichiran on a Monday morning for breakfast.

It is a famous chain of ramen restaurants in Japan and they opened their first overseas branch in Hong Kong a couple of months back. Such was the hype that there have been massive queues to this place.

One gimmick is that they are open 24 hours so we used this to our advantage and got there early doors for our breakfast. This tactic worked as there were not many people so we did not have to queue.

Eating booths are individually styled and so not ideal for social gatherings.

Eating Booth
There is only one item on the menu, which is a bowl of noodles. There is a choice of how strong you want your soup base, how well cooked you want the noodles etc. I made my choices and handed it to the server.

The noodles then soon appear on your table through a curtain at the front of the booth, giving a slight level of surprise and unexpectedness of when your order will arrive.

It was a fairly large bowl of noodles, cooked to my order. There were two slices of pork and spring onions as a garnish as well, which I had chosen. Noodles were al dente as ordered and quite buttery in taste; the soup broth had a good flavour and was not too oily. You can also order a special sauce as well, which enhances the taste. The pork was a bit sparse in quantity, though.
My Order
Free flow purified water came from a tap fitted in each booth, which was good as no drink came with the noodles.

I liked my food from Ichiran, but it was a tad expensive (for a breakfast) and probably not worth the hype, nor long queue if there is one the next time I think about going here.

Scores:
Food: 4/5
Presentation: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5

Overall: 13/20

Total Bill: $178, about £7.50 a head.

I ate: Ramen noodles.

I drank: Ichiran purified water.

I wore: Standard polo shirt.


Shop Exterior (with no queue at 8am)

No comments:

Post a Comment