Wednesday 25 January 2012

Triple O's, Sha Tin, Hong Kong

Kung Hei Fat Choy from Hong Kong, people. I visited this burger chain the day before the lunar new year last Sunday, when I was at a shopping mall. The restaurant is situated on the same floor and food court area as the congee and noodle shop 'Wong Chi Kei' that I have blogged about before. Whilst the rest of the food court outlets were busy, this place had a few empty seats and as I did not have that much time, decided to eat here. The reason for not being as busy as others might be explained later.

They had the standard selection of burgers and meals as offered by most places of this type. I opted for the 'BC Burger' and went for the meal, which came with fries and a soft drink choice. I was served quickly at the counter and after my money was handed over I was asked to sit down and the food would be brought over to me. I therefore anticipated a freshly made burger and did not wait too long until I was presented with my order in all its plastic and paper wrapping goodness, shown below.

My Order
As I took off the paper wrapping of my burger I noticed that there was a gherkin placed on top, which I thought was odd and a error in the plating up of the dish. However, it did not really bother me as I was hungry and proceeded to eat it anyway. Furthermore, after some research on their website, this is a deliberate thing that Triple O's do as part of their presentation. The burger was cut in half as well, as shown in the photograph below, for easier handling and eating.

BC Burger
Taste-wise the burger was average but not that warm. The bacon was ok and hotter than the burger, therefore warm enough to melt the cheese ( which was the processed kind) slightly. The Triple O sauce gave some flavour but it was not spectacular. The bun looked a bit lifeless and was a little bit soggy, probably the tomato and lettuce.

The fries were a lot better. They were chipped to a good size, fried nicely and served at a hot temperature in a paper cup with not too much salt. I added some vinegar to them that was offered on the table.

All this was washed down with a cold Sprite.

So the burger I had at Triple O's was distinctly average. It was likely to have been freshly compiled but the main beef patty component of the burger should have been served warmer. Also at $75 this is expensive stuff for what is food court sustenance. Compare this with a meal at the McDonald's, which on average can cost a third of what I had just paid and you can see why people here (myself included) would rather flock to the Golden Arches if they want some non-Oriental fast food.

I had never heard of Triple O's before until I came to HK, but it's a Canadian brand that has been established since 1928 and has made it to these shores. I am not sure if the chain have invaded Europe for a possible LQ: ED pan-continental comparison, or perhaps the LQ family can extend to North America for a review?

Scores:
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 2/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5

Overall: 11/20

Total bill: HK$75

I ate: Bacon and cheese beef burger; fries.

I drank: Sprite, which came with the meal.

I wore: Usual Sunday best casual clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment