Tuesday 29 November 2011

Angus, Causeway Centre, Wanchai

We visited this restaurant on Sunday after going to the exhibition of Elizabeth Taylor's jewellery collection, which was at the nearby Convention Centre.

Angus is situated at the podium level of a tower block in a commercial part of Wanchai, so with it being a Sunday afternoon it was fairly quiet and we were able to get a seat no problem. Whilst the weather meant it would have been perfect to sit outside, there was construction noise being heard so we thought we would sit inside. They were offering a three course set lunch and the waiters came round fairly quickly after we settled into our seats to give us some bread, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (although after requesting for it) and to take our orders.
Bread, with butter, balsamic vinegar and olive oil

I chose the soup of the day for starter, which was Broccoli Soup. This was presented in a nice white bowl and piping hot, perhaps a bit too hot for my liking. The texture was nice and the broccoli could be sensed in the ingredients but it could have done with a bit more seasoning I thought.

Broccoli Soup
Whilst waiting for my soup to cool, I tried a bit of what my wife ordered for her starter, which was the Smoked Duck Breast Salad. Fresh green salad leaves, sliced peaches and cherry tomatoes accompanied thin slices of duck breast with a honey mustard dressing. The dressing was really nice and sweet although I did not taste much mustard.

Salad
My choice for main course was Sole Fish Fillet with grilled vegetables and mashed potatoes. I was served the at pretty much the same time they cleared away our starters, with three fillets of sole that could have done with a touch more seasoning. All the vegetables (carrot, aubergine, broccoli, pepper and more) that the fish was lying on were grilled nicely and were still crunchy. The mash was creamy and smooth.
Sole Fish Fillet

The third course was a choice between a drink or Banana Caramel Cake. My wife and I decided to go for a drink and the dessert to share. The dessert was actually a Banoffee pie. This was delicious and had the right combination of cream, caramel, banana and biscuit base. It also came with a lovely scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Banana Caramel Cake
The tea was cool but very weak. There was a little jug of syrup to alter the sweetness to you liking.

Ice Lemon tea
I also tried some of my wife's main course which was Mushroom Linguine, the pasta of the day. This was a well cooked pasta with nicely sliced mushrooms and garlic butter sauce.
Pasta of the Day
Angus is a nice (possibly newly refurbished) restaurant that serves you with decent, well presented food at reasonable prices. If you're wanting a quiet lunch over the weekend then I'd recommend this place.

Scores
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 4/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5

Overall: 13/20

Total bill: HK$238 for two, about £10 a head.

I ate: all of the above described.

I drank: Water (probably tap), Ice Lemon Tea.

I wore: Smart casual clothes, although probably leaning more towards the smart as I was looking at diamonds and other jewellery items of Liz Taylor's.

No comments:

Post a Comment