Monday 10 October 2011

Felix, The Peninsula

This a special entry as it's a 'late' lunchquest that would actually constitute as the evening meal. It's also my first proper meal as a married man.

We (that's my wife and I) were at Felix on Thursday night, a restaurant in the Peninsula Hotel. This hotel is probably Hong Kong's most famous and the restaurant sits on the 28th floor overlooking the harbour towards the HK island side. There's a lift from the hotel ground floor that takes you all the way up to the restaurant, which gives it that exclusivity.

We received a glass of champagne compliments of the restaurant. However in order to get it we had to remind staff that we had just got married.


For the starter I chose a sashimi dish that consisted of red snapper slices, accompanied with winter melon and foie gras. The melon was a bit bland but there was a chilli sauce that overall made it a pleasant appetiser.
Red snapper, winter melon & foie gras

For the main course I had roast pigeon that was rich but a touch too salty. It came on a bed of aubergine and duck liver, which was very nice and better than the bird itself, I thought.

Roast Pigeon main course
My wife had Tuna that was cooked to a medium grade that was moist and tasty.
Tuna main course

Only my wife ordered dessert and she chose a cookie type dish with fresh strawberries and cream, which she said was yummy. It came with a nice message incorrectly written on a white chocolate board; it's the thought that counts I suppose.
Grammatically challenged dessert

I had a glass of Australian merlot, which was easy to drink, quite fruity and had no aftertaste.

Their menus are not the traditional bound paper version but on iPads, which would have made the late Steve Jobs proud. Your order is not sent to the kitchen though and a waiter still takes it down with pen and paper.

I'm going to be a bit generous and give this place slightly better marks that it deserves due to the occasion. It is a very nice place but for a fine dining experience, Caprice is way ahead.

Food: 4/5
Presentation: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Setting: 5/5

Overall: 17/20

I ate: Red snapper slices, winter melon, foie gras; roasted French pigeon with sauteed aubergine & duck liver.

My wife ate: Seared tuna steaks; cookies & fresh strawberry.

We drank: Sparkling water, merlot; Dom Perignon champagne.


I wore: navy dress shirt, grey pin-striped trousers, Cartier wedding ring:
She wore: Peach evening dress, Cartier wedding ring.

Felix, The Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong
http://www.peninsula.com/Hong_Kong/en/Dining/Felix/default.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment