Wednesday 21 December 2011

Pom Pom Resort, Sabah, Malaysia

I am on my honeymoon now, where we are on Pom Pom Island off the coast of Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia. We are staying at the Pom Pom Resort and are on a full board tariff, which is convenient seeing as the resort is the only one that covers this island. Lunch was our first meal here after arriving here mid morning on Wednesday.

All meals are buffet type and are served in the same restaurant. Their range was quite extensive bit leaned towards oriental tastes, given the ethnicity of the clientele. I chose to serve myself three courses.

My starter consisted of soup and salad. The soup was pak choi, which was good. Thin as expected with Chinese soups, with plenty of the vegetable, as well as small tender pieces of pork. My salad consisted of broccoli, carrot, cucumber, green beans, boiled egg, sweetcorn and lettuce, with a little Thousand Island dressing. All the items were fresh or sufficiently cooked if necessary.

Soup & Salad Starter
For my main I picked Stew beef, fried noodles, chicken 'Cik Kong', spicy squid and potatoes. These five dishes had varying degrees of satisfaction. The beef was well stewed in a Chinese sauce and was accompanied with nice Chinese mushrooms. The noodles and chicken were fine, nothing special. The squid was very spicy indeed. The potatoes were shredded and fried with nuts added to it, which did not work for me.
Main Course

I selected fruit and chocolate Swiss roll as my dessert. The fruit was water melon and dragon-fruit, which were both tasty and refreshing. The Swiss roll were miniature versions of the sponge cake that tasted fine and sweet enough.

Fruit & Cake Dessert
They had two fruit juices on offer and I poured myself a Mango juice, which was OK but not freshly squeezed.

The restaurant is a hexagonal shaped open air building that got rather hot, due to the fans perhaps not being powerful enough. The furniture is fine and basic but probably sourced locally to give it an authentic look. Being a buffet staff do not serve you food but are friendly when showing you your seat and clearing the tables. Overall this place serves you with decent food but this is the only dining choice you have when you are on this island resort.

Scores
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5
Overall: 12/20

I ate: Pak Choi Soup; garden salad; sweetcorn salad; stew beef; fried noodles; chicken; squid; chocolate Swiss roll; local fruit.

I drank: Mango juice, still water.

I wore: holiday gear and bare feet and there was a no shoes policy in the restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment