Tuesday 9 October 2012

Brown, Happy Valley, Hong Kong

Last Sunday was Mid-Autumn Festival and taking a break from eating mooncakes, I went to a local restaurant, Brown for some brunch. I had breakfasted that morning but my wife was still on her first meal of the day.

The restaurant was not particularly busy at this time of day so there was not much difficulty in getting a seat, they even have some tables at the back. The decor is, modern and well, brown.

We ordered our food and drinks fairly quickly from their menu. I chose a 'Big Brown Breakfast' to eat and a 'Purple' smoothie to drink.

Our drinks came first, which were freshly made. Mine had cranberry, raspberry and strawberry yoghurt all blended up, giving it the purple colour and the taste was sweet and refreshing. My wife's milkshake was nice too.
My 'Purple' Smoothie to the left, Malteser Milkshake to right
My breakfast arrived afterwards and it contained bacon, sausage, roast potato, tomato, baked beans, white and brown toast slice and two eggs of you choice, which I chose to be fried over-easy. It was also garnished with some salad leaves with a vinaigrette, which was a strange addition but I ate it nonetheless. The egg was cooked as requested; the bacon was flavoursome; so too were the sausages but the were a bit smaller than anticipated; tomato was grilled with herbs and fine and the roast potatoes were probably a posher alternative to hash browns, although I would have preferred the latter. The toast was buttered with the little portion they gave out and that filled me up, along with the baked beans.

My Big Brown Breakfast Order
Brown has the tag line 'Bar Restaurant Lounge', making it a multi tasking eatery. It does fine in the restaurant department served decent fare. Overall it is ok, nothing too special, and service was efficient without being exceptional. Out of convenience I would go again due to its proximity, but would not tell people to make their way over here to eat.

Scores:
Food: 3/5
Presentation: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Setting: 3/5

Overall: 12/20

Total Bill: $350, about £14 a head.

I ate: Big Brown Breakfast.

I drank: Purple smoothie.

I wore: Sunday jeans and t-shirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment