Saturday 22 September 2012

Mark Greenaway, Edinburgh

This entry is located way outside the Hong Kong boundary limits as I am in my home city of Edinburgh. I was also in revered company as I was lunching with LQ's co-founder and the Istanbul's bureau chief. There were four of us in total and making up the quartet was a regular LQ:ED contributor.

The restaurant is located in an Georgian townhouse making the main dining room large and airy.

We all chose from the set lunch menu and for my starter I ordered Mushroom velouté. This was served with one mushroom and single ravioli in a bowl and the velouté poured on top. It was a creamy, bubbly soup that had a very nice flavour, with the mushroom and pasta adding body to the dish.

Mushroom Veloute
The main course I chose was the Pork Belly and mash. The pork was soft, tender and chewy with a crispy and crunchy skin, which sat on a bed of savoy cabbage. There was a sweet sauce to accompany the dish and little apple cubes for garnish. 
Pork Belly
For the dessert I went for the Fish Bowl. This consisted of strawberry, cream, shortbread, jelly and ice cream. It was a decent assortment of those ingredients served in a glass bowl, with the fresh strawberries and cream being enjoyed the most by myself.
Fishbowl Dessert
All dishes were presented beautifully as shown in the photographs. Everything I ordered tasted great, with the velouté being my favourite course that day. Service was very good from the onset, with an attentive waiter and maitre d' serving us. Overall a top quality restaurant that I would thoroughly recommend.

Scores:
Food: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
Service: 4/5
Setting: 4/5

Overall: 17/20

Cost: £20 for three courses, which was actually given to us for half the price as the menu was still on trial. However, we were treated by the generous P, thanks very much!

I ate: All of the above.

I drank: Sparkling water.

I wore: Casual top & jeans, a bit scruffy next to the sartorial elegance of LQ co-founder.

No comments:

Post a Comment