Friday 30 March 2012

Cafe Groucho's, Stanley, Hong Kong

Having read the recent stories of LQ's Editor in Chief's charity walk training regime, I felt inspired to do a bit of walking myself.

My wife and I ended up at Cafe Groucho's after a 2 hour walk (and taxi ride) from our flat to Stanley last Sunday and decided to go to this place for some refreshments.  It's located on the waterfront, along with other restaurants and cafes and all seats are outside. Being the weekend it was busy and we had a five minute wait for our seat. We still had to share a table but that is commonplace in a busy cafe in this densely populated city.

Groucho's has a large selection of burgers but we ordered only side dishes as this was a late lunch. I chose fish fingers and my wife opted for chips with cheese topping. For drinks I decided to go for an iced lemon tea and my wife went for the hot variant.

My lemon tea arrived first in a plastic cup (with separate syrup jug) then the fish fingers in a cardboard bowl later. The former was a bit bland, probably because the tea was weak and not many slices of lemon were served. The latter were a little burnt and very hot. There was a dollop of tartare sauce as a garnish, which added a bit of flavour to an adequate dish.
My fish fingers & iced lemon tea

And that is all we ate as we were still waiting for my wife's order after I had finished my fish fingers. We then decided to get the bill and leave, cancelling the chips and hot tea. One good things was that my tea was served in a plastic cup so I took it away to drink as we left early.

I suppose Groucho's is a waterfront cafe in its relaxed (but friendly) service and that the food is served in paper & plastic. Unfortunately the service was too relaxed and we will be visiting other establishments the next time we go to Stanley.

Scores:
Food: 2/5
Presentation: 3/5
Service: 2/5
Setting: 3/5
Overall: 10/20

Total bill: $60, so just about £5 a head.

I ate: Fish Fingers (only).

I drank: Iced Lemon Tea (partly take-away).

I wore: New Salomon hiking shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment